What is an RPZ, why does my building need one?
- An RPZ (backflow) is a device that prevents the undesirable reversal of flow of water -– caused by the sudden or unexpected change in water pressure — from your building into the City’s potable (drinking) water supply.
- Without such a device installed, contaminated water, chemicals or disease could potentially enter the City’s domestic water supply from your building!
What should I do now?
- As the letter states, you have thirty (30) days to “initiate the process”. Contact Calray Gas Corp. We will have our Licensed Engineer draw up a set of approved plans for the installation of the necessary RPZ device(s). We will then work with you through the installation, testing and sign off.
I have my engineer working on this already…
- Upon receiving the plans approved by the NYC DEP from your engineer, Sanitary Plumbing & Heating will provide you with a free estimate to install, test and sign off on your device(s).
What else do I need to know?
- If you just completed a new installation, or already have a device previously installed, the City requires annual testing of the RPZ device(s). Calray is a licensed RPZ testing company.